Cadena De Madres (Network of Mothers)
You can also call to obtain the schedules for the monthly educational baby showers:
- If you live in San Patricio County call: San Patricio County Health Dept. 361-364-6208 (ext. 146)
- Driscoll Health Plan Member Service Line: 1-877-220-6376
Driscoll Health Plan provides a free, value added service, Prenatal Educational Showers for Pregnant Women enrolled under STAR and CHIP and/or residing in the following counties:
The Cadena de Madres Project will provide culturally appropriate information and provide a supportive environment for pregnant women to promote positive behaviors.
The baby showers are offered at various sites every week in all available counties. Presented in three sessions, the showers will celebrate their pregnancy, offer games, prizes, and healthy snacks.
While attending the baby showers, the participant will
- Learn how to make healthy choices during their pregnancy and recognize the negative impact of smoking, alcohol, and drugs on their health
- Comprehend the advantages of prenatal care and understand the complications that may occur during their pregnancy
- Learn to recognize signs of preterm labor, and early labor signs, and understand when medical intervention is needed
WE OFFER CONSULTATIONS WITH A REGISTERED DIETICIAN FOR WOMEN WITH GESTATIONAL DIABETES AT RISK FOR ADVERSE BIRTH OUTCOMES.THE DIETICIAN PROVIDES MEAL PLANNING AND NUTRITIONAL ADVICE.
A second component of the project is a monthly post natal home visitation program. Driscoll Health Plan teams with San Patricio County Department of Health and the non profit agency, AVANCE, to reach out to our members after delivery. This will include monthly home visitation by a health education advocate for three months post partum to assist the mother with basic newborn care, immunization compliance, and safety tips.